Our second-grade students will take the CogAT ( Cognitive Abilities Test) this week in their English classes.
- This assessment is a gifted and talented screener that, along with additional data points, can identify gifted students.
Additionally, all elementary students will take the SELweb assessment in their SEL specials class next week.
- The purpose of this assessment is to understand better how GVA-North students are doing socially and emotionally.
- Assessment results will be used to help support students. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Renee Kleck at [email protected].
Lost and Found
We will donate all the lost and found items on Friday, September 29th, as it is the last Friday of the month, so please remind your students to look for any lost items.
Grading Policy Update
GVA North’s School Accountability Committee, composed of staff, board members, and parents, continuously looks for ways to improve the school.
An issue that was brought to the committee's attention by both teachers and parents last year was grading inconsistencies across grade levels and a general misunderstanding of standards-based grading systems (by both staff and parents).
As a result, the committee sought a solution to:
- Unify and streamline elementary and middle school grading practices
- Find a more accurate way of communicating student proficiency in each skill
Several different grading systems were analyzed, but the committee finally settled on a 1-5 scale system that both gives more clarity on student levels than the four options previously used in elementary (U, PP, P, and A) as well as converts to a traditional GPA for our middle school students to take with them to high school. It was additionally noted that this system is used more often internationally, which aligns directly with our school’s mission of creating global learners.
For more information on the new system, click here,
Thanks for your continued support and letting us spend time with your children daily! Here is to another outstanding week.